Watch: ATP launches investigation into allegations of abuse against world tennis player

The ATP have launched an investigation into allegations that men’s tennis player Alexander Zverev physically abused his estranged wife earlier this year. The German was accused by his wife, Julia, of beating her in early 2017. She had posted pictures of herself bruised from the attack, and also alleged that his actions showed an “unusual level of violence” for a world-class tennis player. She later withdrew her allegations. The ATP has received assurances from Zverev’s agent that the injuries suffered by his wife did not indicate physical abuse.

The ATP’s chief of operations, David Haggerty, announced that they would investigate the matter. He added that he was sympathetic to Julia Zverev. In a statement, he said, “While this matter is not currently part of a disciplinary process, due to the serious nature of the allegations, we will investigate thoroughly and move forward with a thorough, open and fair process as our Rules require.”

Women’s Tennis Association CEO Steve Simon announced that they also would launch an investigation. He added that it was, however, in neither of their organizations’ “interests or ability to have a disruptive” situation at a tournament. That has now turned into an awkward situation for the latter. On Sunday, in a tweet posted to his official Twitter account, Zverev said that he was in Hong Kong where he won his third title this year. “Thank you for the support during this period. You are the best fans in the world,” Zverev said. “See you in 4 years!”

Read the full story at The Guardian.

Related

In landmark decision, FIFA bans ‘sexist’ ball girls

Players boycott shootouts in apparent response to Dylan Hartley’s comments

Report of women’s soccer team fighting sexism in locker room leads to staff shakeup

Leave a Comment