Tollgate shooting condemned in strongest terms

Image copyright Daily Times Image caption The toll gate is located off Lekki-Epe Expressway in Lekki Peninsula

The Niger Delta and Badagry district court has condemned in strong terms the shooting of motorists at a toll gate in Lagos last month.

It described the shooting as an “exterminate” and expressed anger at the govenor’s insensitivity and blame.

The government accused members of the Civil Defence Corps and the Niger Delta Volunteer Force of carrying out the shooting.

A fact-finding committee has called for those responsible to be prosecuted and their crimes punished.

The toll gate, an official symbol of Western Africa’s largest economy, is located off Lekki-Epe Expressway in Lekki Peninsula.

The Permanent Secretary of the Niger Delta and Badagry District Court, John Dikko, briefed newsmen on Thursday.

He said that members of the Judicial Committee of Inquiry constituted to investigate the incident had submitted their report to President Muhammadu Buhari.

At a session held last Friday, the committee recommended that the road should be closed for a period of 72 hours to prevent similar incidents in the future.

“The toll gate is nothing but a monument of shame and disgrace to the state government.

“The attack of the toll gate in Lekki by the Civil Defence Corps and the Niger Delta Volunteer Force during the period of emergency is an act of mutiny, rebellion and is an extra-judicial killing and is tantamount to murdering innocent men and women without any provocation.

“The committee urges President Muhammadu Buhari to call to book any other persons in custody or who were involved in the attack with a view to punishing them,” Mr Dikko said.

In a recent interview with President Buhari, Niger Delta militant leader, Government Ekpemupolo, also known as Tompolo, urged the government to take the perpetrators of the killings to task.

President Buhari also directed the National Judicial Council (NJC) to refer the matter to the national Judicial Council to handle.

Nigeria’s police have also confirmed to say that they have launched a manhunt for the members of the civil defence corps who allegedly shot at motorists at the toll gate.

“The management of the Nigeria Police Force is committed to tackling acts of criminality in our nation with aplomb and will in future also re-assess our operational activities after an extensive investigation,” said the Force’s spokesman, Jimoh Moshood, in a statement

Leave a Comment